Where should you promote your new piece of content? What are some of the most effective marketing channels to reach the right prospects? Which one is “better” than the others?
There are so many attractive ways to bring in the audience. Some channels bring more visitors than others. And some of them convert better than others.
I understand it can be quite overwhelming to pick the “right” ones, especially if you’re new to online marketing.
Picking the appropriate marketing channels
How to promote your next piece of content more effectively?
Your main goal: get customers through the door — in this case, through the “virtual” door.
While your marketing efforts should be customer-centric, you may go about it through different marketing channels.
Suppose you know your target audience, their interests and behavioral patterns, and now you’re looking for effective ways to reach these people where they like to hang out.
As you already know, creating content is only one part of the equation. Marketing is where the rubber meets the road; this is where all your efforts really pay off.
Let’s dive into those distribution options, shall we?
1. Owned Media – You’re in control of the game
These are your website, blog, newsletter and social accounts. You own the messaging and everything is completely in your control.
- 100% Control: guaranteed placement, control over messaging
- Cost-efficient: in most cases it’s free
According to Nielsen, consumer’s who were exposed to a brand’s website purchased almost 3x times more than consumers who saw a brand’s digital ad only.
2. Earned Media – Increased brand awareness
This is the third-party publishers game. Whether it’s key influencer or leading media publications from your industry, this channel will absolutely boost visibility for your content.
Earned media is one of the most effective and authentic marketing channels to position yourself as the trusted authority in your niche and validate your message.
The benefits in a nutshell:
- Increased visibility: reach a wider audience
- Increased brand awareness
- Boost credibility: it comes from an unbiased third party
- It’s 100% free: others promote you for free
- Word-of-mouth: best marketing in the world
- Thought leadership: position yourself as the expert
According to Nielsen, 92% of global consumers trust earned media above “all other forms of advertising”.
3. Paid Media – Highly targeted if you know how to do it
Do you like the sound of that?
Here’s the hook….
If you don’t know how to target your audience, you’ll blowing money out of the window….
However, if you invest time into researching and getting to know your audience better, paid media is a fantastic marketing channel to generating high-quality leads and convert these leads into paying customers.
And the benefits are as follows:
- Highly targeted: make sure you know as much as possible about your custom avatar
- Guaranteed audience: again, it’s crucial to target the “right” people; willy-nilly targeting will cost you loads of money and won’t get you anywhere
- Elevated exposure for high-value content
Nielsen discovered that Native ads generated 82% brand lift among users exposed to the ads.
The above mentioned options complement each other pretty well. However, it all comes down to having an integrated marketing strategy and approach.
Obviously, a healthy mix of all three strategies can help you extend your reach faster.
What’s your approach?
What distribution and marketing channels do you use? What do you prefer: earned, owned or paid media?