Marketing plan guides, templates and examples… If you search the web you’ll find a lot of advice on how to develop your strategy in order to meet the goals & objectives outlined in your overall business plan. Looking for free advice? Check out some university or government sites. Btw., the US Small Business Administration is a good source with loads of online training and video tutorials to get you started.
Last week I wrote a blog about the importance of having a LinkedIn marketing plan. Today it’s Twitter’s turn :).
Why bother with a Twitter marketing plan?
Here are a few numbers that will reveal the importance of having a presence on this social media platform. Let’s remember that Twitter has recently filed for IPO…
1. Twitter has 218 million active monthly users – 169 million of these users are from outside the US.
2. Twitter is mobile-centric – 65% of its advertising earnings are from ad campaigns on tablets and smartphones.
3. Twitter’s revenue for the first half of 2013 was $254 million. By the end of 2013 the total revenue will exceed $656 million if this rate of growth continues.
These numbers are part of the 800 page filing for the Twitter IPO. When you are raising $1 billion and moving from private to public, investors and the government are watching your numbers very closely.
Twitter conversations are now easier to find and follow
What trending tools will keep you afloat on Twitter?
Twitter thrives on 140 character tweets and hashtags. To keep your canoe afloat you’ll need to grab a trending hashtag, show up in its search results and get all the followers you can.
The importance of using day-bayed hashtags can’t be overemphasized. I have pulled some numbers out of the infographic below to reveal the importance of using day-based hashtags.
- #tbt / #throwBackThursday can reach a potential of 31,5 million users.
- Using #ff / #followFriday and suggesting someone to follow can reach a potential of 23,5 million users.
- Sharing something old and something new while using the hashtags #tt / #transformationTuesday will let you reach more than 10 million users.
This infographic is courtesy of Masters in finance and researched by Merrill Cook.
Are you happy with your Twitter results?
How do you use Twitter? Do you have a separate marketing plan for using targeted hashtags and tweets? Look forward to your insights in the comments below.